Childcare in York

When it comes to choosing childcare there are lots of options to think about. If you would like to speak to somebody about your options or find out what's available in your area then please contact Local Area Teams Information Service (formerly York FIS) on 01904 554444.

Finding Childcare in York

You can search for childcare online or get a personalised list from Local Area Teams Information Service (formerly York FIS).

Funded Entitlement places for eligible two year olds and all three and four year olds

Find out about funded childcare places for eligible two year olds and the Funded Entitlement (Early Years education and childcare) for all three and four year olds.

Extended Funded Entitlement (30 Hours)

If you are applying for a place from 1st September 2017, you can check that you are eligible via Childcare Choices at: Those who could be eligible for 30 hours and/or Tax-Free Childcare will  be directed to the digital childcare service to apply. You do not need to apply to the digital service is you only want the universal 15 hours entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds.

If you are eligible you will be issued with an 11 digit code that you should take to your provider, along with your National Insurance number so that they or the local authority can check validity of the code. You will then be able to access your free childcare place. If you disagree with the outcome eligibility outcome as determined by HMRC, you can appeal to have the decision reviewed. Further details can be found via the digital childcare service.

Reduce your childcare bills

There are several ways of reducing the cost of childcare but it can be confusing to know where you stand. We've collected together some of the main ways of reducing your childcare costs and also where you can find more information.

Childcare options

Childminders, nurseries, breakfast clubs... There are lots of different types of childcare to choose from.

Choosing childcare - guidance

York Family Information Service have put together some top tips and things to look out for when you are choosing childcare.

Childcare for disabled children and young people

When it comes to childcare for a disabled child, a lot of the considerations are the same as for any other child. However there are a few extra things to think about, such as training or a child's medical needs. This short guide will take you through all of the key things you need to know about arranging childcare for a disabled child.

Finding childcare outside of York

If you are looking for childcare outside of York then use the Family and Childcare Trust Childcare Finder. This website links together all of the Family Information Services in England to make it quick and easy to find childcare wherever you live.

Registered or not registered—what does it mean?

Some childcare is regulated and inspected by the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted). This means that Ofsted have checked that a set of standards have been met and that a childcare provider is suitable to look after children. Some childcare is unregistered which means that checking how suitable the care is rests with the parent or carer.

For more information see the Ofsted website.