Manage your money

Send yourself or someone else a link to this page:

Send to email address:
What's your name?

Depending on your family circumstances and what you choose to do, there may be extra financial support to help you to continue in full-time education and other training programmes.

16–19 Bursary Fund

Young people who need some financial support to help stay in education or training after 16 can apply to their intended school, sixth form, college or training provider for the 16–19 Bursary Fund:

  • You be eligible for a bursary of £1200 a year, including young people in care, care leavers, young people receiving income support and disabled young people receiving both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance.
  • You may also be able to apply for a bursary to help with costs of transport, food, equipment or other course-related costs. Awards are made to individual students on a case-by-case basis according to assessed need and funding availability.

Care to Learn

Care to Learn is a scheme that provides financial support to young people who are parents, to help them pay for childcare and related travel costs while they are learning. It’s available for all kinds of courses, both full and part-time, and is paid direct to the nursery or childminder.

Help with transport

There are various schemes to help with the cost of your transport to college or sixth form: If your family is on a low income and you live at least three miles from the institution, you may be entitled to a free bus pass. You may also apply for assistance as an independent student without regard to parent/carers income according to set criteria. Students with any special needs that require assistance with transport may also apply.

For full information and an application form, visit the City of York Council website.

Other support and help

In certain circumstances (for example, if you have to move out of the family home) there may be different types of support available. Castlegate can give more advice.

The Princes Trust may be able to help with a development grant to £500 to help you access education, training, work or voluntary work. You must be aged 14–25; it will also depend on your circumstances.

Bursaries, scholarships and charitable trusts may also be available to you. These are paid through your university or college. To find out more get in touch with your college, university or use Scholarship Search. Certain professional healthcare courses and social work have additional financial support though NHS bursaries.