Young people with disabilities

Send yourself or someone else a link to this page:

Send to email address:
What's your name?

Do you need extra support with your learning? Are you disabled, or have a health issue that may affect your choices? Whatever help you feel you need, there are people who can offer advice.

Secondary school

Information on the advice and support available while you're in secondary school.

Leaving school options (16+)

What's next? Life learning and work. Find information and advice on your options when you're 16 and what support is available for you.

Local colleges

Colleges in York offer a whole range of courses. Learning support is available on a wide range of courses at all levels if you have specific needs and advisers and learning  support can also offer help, advice and support.

Residential Specialist colleges

Residential colleges, often called Independent Specialist Providers (ISPs), offer full time further education programmes for young people aged 19+ for 1, 2 or 3 years. The local authority is only able to support a residential place at an ISP when all local options have been fully explored and where it is clear case for a young person’s learning to be enhanced by this experience.

You can get further information on residential colleges from your Connexions Adviser or by contacting the Association of National Specialist Colleges (Natspec).

Personalised learning and work programme

If you'd like to continue your education when you leave school but do not have the entry requirements for local college courses, then a personalised learning and working programme may suit you.

Higher education

The Disability Alliance is a good source of information if you are thinking about taking a higher education course. You may be entitled to the Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA) - designed to pay for the extra costs of attending a higher education course because of a disability, eg specialist equipment allowance. See and Student Loans Company for more details.

Independent travel training 

York Independent Living and Travel Skills Training (YILTS) offer training to young people whilst they are at school. Carefully planned programmes support young people to understand timetables, plan routes and understand what to do when something unexpected happens.

United Response are able to offer travel training to students once they have left school – for further information please contact your Care Manager.

Useful information and Contacts

SEN and Disability Support - Find out about the changes to the way young people with disabilities and additional needs get support

Castlegate offers help and advice to young people aged 16–25 on employment, education, training, housing, debt and confidential counselling.

Jobcentre Plus: Disability Employment Advisers will give you expert advice

York Special Education Needs Service