Skip to content

Children and Young People


Please note that all our Children and Young Peoples pages are in the process of being reviewed

Welcome to the Children and Young People's page!


Most parents and carers do everything they can to protect their children and make sure that they are safe, loved and cared for. But sometimes things can go wrong in families and children can feel scared, worried or unsafe.

There are lots of people whose job is to make sure that children and young people in York are safe. The City of York Safeguarding Partnership (CYSCP) makes sure that all these people work together to protect children and young people in York.

Do you feel safe? Are you feeling OK?

If you’ve got a problem or are worried about a friend it can be hard to know what to do to make the situation better. Here you should find lots of useful information to help you if you are feeling worried about anything or concerned about anything.

It can be hard to talk about your feelings or what is happening to you, but some problems won’t go away if you ignore them. Talking to somebody can make you feel better and improve the situation.

If you need help for yourself or are worried about a friend or family member, you should speak to somebody you trust, an adult or someone that you feel comfortable with.

That could be family members, teachers, doctors, nurses, social workers or other adults who work with children. They will listen to what you have to say.

Don't be afraid to talk to these people if you are worried. They are there to help you.


If you are worried about a friend or you need help

Please contact:


Phone: 01904 551900


Outside office hours, at weekends and on public holidays contact the emergency duty team telephone: 01609 780780

Police - If there is immediate danger call 999

Childline - Phone: 0800 11 11 A free, private and confidential service where you can be you. Whatever your worry, whenever you need help, however you want to get in touch. We're here for you online, on the phone, anytime. 

CYSCP Coronavirus page

Do you want to find out further information about Coronavirus and what it means for you?  We have pulled together information which may be useful for you and help with any worries or concerns you may have.

Local Advice


  • Take a look at YorZone to find out about lots of different ways that you can have your voice heard. 


  • York Youth Council is a group of passionate young people who want to make York better for every young person in their community. Their vision is to empower young people to have a voice and to influence the future of their community.

  York Youth Council logo


Children in Care

There are services available to you as a child in care.  This video explains the 'Speak Up Service' which is available to you.  Further information is also available on the 'Speak Up Service' website including leaflets explaining what advocacy is..



speak up logo    York Children's Rights and Advocacy Service is here to help you understand your rights, and to provide you with help and support on anything and everything to do with being in care.   
 Show Me That I Matter logo   Show Me That I Matter is Yorks Children in Care Council  


The Pathway Plan is for children in care.  It is unique to you and based on your needs, views and future goals.  You will start your plan with your social worker when you turn 16 and they will help you to consider your options and start to plan for your future. At age 17 ½ you will get a Pathway Worker who will continue to develop your plan with you and consider how you want to be supported by City of York Council until you feel confident to live independently. Your Pathway Worker will work with you up to 21 or until you are 25, if you still want support.  Your plan will be reviewed every 6 months or more frequently if needed, it will celebrate your progress, explore what has changed, agree new actions and identify any further support you need to achieve your goals.  The 'What is a Pathway Plan' leaflet gives further information.

Useful resources

The YorOK website contains a lot of useful resources for children and young people.

The Mix is the UK’s leading support service for young people. They will help you take on any challenge you’re facing - from mental health to money, from homelessness to finding a job, from break-ups to drugs. Talk to them via our online community, on social, through their free, confidential helpline or counselling service.

Childline also has a wide varietyof information on their website ranging from 'difficulty making new friends' to 'Mothers Day difficulties if you don;t get on with your mum or she is not around'

If you are a young person who think you might be lesbian, gay, bisexual or are questioning your sexual orientation, and/or who think you might be trans, non-binary or are questioning your gender identity The Be You Project has resources and useful information to help you.

Click on the wall links below for more specific advice and information:

 Sexual Abuse wall

Online safety wall

Child Exploitation wall graffiti

mental health and wellbeing

Domestic Abuse wall graffiti

Bullying wall graffiti

Private Fostering wall