A boy's hand thrust forward towards the camera

Private fostering - advice for young people

Are you or will you be staying with someone who isn’t a close relative for more than 28 days in total?

If so, you could be in a private fostering arrangement.

You are in a private fostering arrangement if you're staying with someone who is not:

  • a parent
  • a grandparent
  • an aunt or uncle
  • a sibling (brother or sister)
  • a step-parent by marriage or civil partnership

Private fostering only applies if you are under the age of 16 years old, or under 18 if you have a disability, and if the arrangement lasts, or is expected to last, for more than 28 days.

City of York Council Children’s Social Care must be informed if you are in or will be in a private fostering arrangement

This is to ensure that if you are in a private fostering arrangement, that you are seen and spoken to and your welfare is checked to make sure that you do not suffer abuse or neglect.

A social worker will visit and speak with you to decide whether the private fostering arrangement is right for you. If there are no concerns about the arrangement, the social worker will continue to visit at regular intervals to make sure everything is going well. They are there to offer you support and guidance.

Top of page

We have some leaflets which you can download and print:

To notify of a private fostering arrangement or for more information about private fostering contact York Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on telephone: 01904 551900, or email: [email protected].

Top of page